Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A trip to Yelagiri Hills

A trip was planned to Yelagiri Hills for the weekend with office colleagues. I took Konda along with me. Yelagiri is about 225 kms from Chennai and is a small hill town. The place is really very small and has a lake for tourist attraction. 

If you have the strength you can go trekking uphill, which I didn't attempt.


This was on the way to the hill.


Near the hotel we had quite a few jackfruit trees which had the fruits in reachable heights just like the above.

After we relaxed for a while, we walked down to the lake that was just across the corner. This was the entrance.


It is a long walk down, on the pavements you can see such fruits for sale. The colour fruits were quite interesting.  The big green ones are passion fruits.

Rest of it, excepting the Cashew fruits with nuts, I couldn't get the English names for them. 


Well being a foodie, I ought to be adventurous to taste right. So I risked to taste this fruit. It was tangy, pungent and something else all rolled in one. Of course the chilli powder ensured it masks the overall taste!

Those white and pinks ones are called paneer fruits in tamil.


Konda enjoying herself!


The view from one side of the lake.


While we were on the boat, my colleagues waiting for their turn.

That was one pretty flower!



Forest office, rather old by the looks..


Few models in the park round the lake.


This is a Bird view spot constructed on a huge tree. Few of them were adventurous enough to climb all the way up!



Our breakfast the next day. After eating all that, I obviously had to ride a bike and played badminton, which I was doing after 10 years.


Finally the trip back. The two days was really not enough in terms of traveling as the journey was quite tiring. But Konda was very energetic throughout and enjoyed the maximum. Infact she went for trekking with the elders and was the motivating factor for them to move on the path. I was elated knowing that.
So it was worth the pains in the end!

7 comments:

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi
lovely clicks and I can see you enjoyed the trip and the eating part.
The one fruit which you did not get name we call star fruit and its really tangy. I make salad or just stir fry.

Sanctified Spaces said...

The bird view spot reminded me of my climb to the tree top..

Finla said...

Loved all the pics, konda must have had lot of fun . We too call it star fruit mostly we use it for decorating the plates for dessert etc...white and red one we call champake in malayalam well i think that is the name.

Swaram said...

What a lovely trip. So many yummy things to eat too ;) Slurp slurp :P :P

jayasree said...

Lovely pics, Valli. Konda seems to have grown tall. That green fruit with chilli powder on is called irumbam puli in malayalam. Just one bite can bring all navarasas on your face.

ShanthiniRajkumar said...

Hi ! I was looking for more info on the paneer nellikkai and stumbled upon your blog . Nice pics and write up.

ShanthiniRajkumar said...

I write a food blog called pink lemon tree...check it out when you can www.pinklemontree.org